The Leviathan Universe is the world in which the Leviathan series is set. It is an alternate-universe, which means that what happened in the real world is not necessarily what has happened or will happen in the Leviathan Universe. This world is in the Great War, not unlike the real World War I. The competing powers are the Clankers and the Darwinists, which are comparable to the Central and Entente powers in the real world.
One of the main differences between this world and the real world is the creation of fabricated beasts by Charles Darwin sometime in the mid-nineteenth century. This created two competing world technologies, and added yet another reason for the world to go to war in 1914. Presumably, this is what sparked many of the other differences between the Leviathan Universe and the real world.
Differences between the Leviathan Universe and the Real WorldEdit
- The technology, the biggest difference in the series, is based in a fantastic sort of technology usually called "Steampunk", basically steam-powered, circa industrial revolution machines but edging the impossible such as legged-walking machines and giant Tesla coils able to fire lightning bolts enough to set a zeppelin ablaze.
- The Entente powers (UK, Italy, France, etc) however, created the Fabricated Beasts, or Darwinists, creatures genetically modified to serve their purposes, such as a hydrogen balloon based upon a Jellyfish or huge mammoth-like pachyderms to pull large carriages, to even firefly-like insects in streetlamps.
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand, and his wife were assassinated in Sarajevo with a pistol in daytime in the real world, but were poisoned at night in the Leviathan world.
- Walkers were created, based upon Darwinist fabricated land creatures, instead of tanks and automobiles.
- Fabricated beasties were used by the Darwinists (Entente powers)
- The Great War only lasted one year in the Leviathan Universe, but lasted four in the real world.
- The Americans joined the war in late 1914 in the Leviathan universe.